Pot Roast and Imperial Justifications

August 5, 2012

By Amal Rana

“how come you don’t cover your hair?”

my breath punches out of me in one big gasp

as I pretend not to hear her

“so how come you don’t cover your hair like all the women in your country?”

she asks me again

persistent, insistent, she is unaware that there is any problem with her question

I am slow to answer

trying to sort out what just happened

30 seconds ago

we were talking about our lives as immigrant women

as two South Asian women

she Indian

I Pakistani

we shared the same story of discovering the real underbelly of the Great Canadian Dream

the search for the better life that somehow deflated into disillusionment

she, was an art history professor back in India

my father, a mechanical engineer in Pakistan

she works for a janitorial company cleaning offices

my father could not even get a job in a gas station

too brown

too old

Mohammed was too Muslim sounding a name in a country

where everyone suddenly morphs into Moe to make it easier on those

white canadians who can’t be bothered with the correct pronunciations of our difficult foreign sounding names

30 seconds ago

we were connecting across our commonalties

our similarities

and now i am left shocked

to hear that oh-so-common ignorant question from such an unexpected source

from a woman who looks like she could be my sister

we are technically from different countries

but we are both Punjabi

we speak the same tongue

eat the same food

but there is suddenly a fence of barbed wire and stereotypes between us

there is so much I want to explain to her in response to her question

I want to tell her that not all Pakistani or Muslim women cover their hair

some do and some don’t

I want to tell her that in Pakistan, women have always been on the frontlines of the struggle

standing down guns, tanks and the ever increasing and terrifying presence of

american drones

our heads may be covered or uncovered, but we have always held them high

I want to tell her that our identities are fluid and diverse

and cannot be defined by Islamophobic headlines that reduce us to sound bytes about gun toting mullahs, home grown terrorists and corrupt politicians

we are a country where lawyers, particularly women, were willing to lead a revolution against tyranny that electrified the world

I want to tell her that in Swat

yes in Swat, that supposed hot bed of terrorism and “uncivilized” chaos

people are still risking their lives to keep schools for girls open

I want to tell her that on any given day

someone’s brother, someone’s sister, someone’s son, daughter, mother, father

is disappeared in the name of the so called war on terror

which for us has become the war of terror,

a war now rebranded with a new name – “AF-PAK”

by a new imperial emperor who may have a Muslim middle name

but who wears on his head the already tarnishing laurels of a Nobel Peace Prize earned by bombing innocent children

on any given day, entire villages are blown up by remote controlled drone aircraft

driven by some soccer dad in a military compound in las vegas

who then goes home to his wife and kids

and a fine american meal of pot roast and justifications in the name of freedom

I want to tell her that those Pakistani women that she imagines as one faceless, nameless unknown entity with covered hair and silent voices

look just like her from the cockpit of a U.S. helicopter gunship

__________________________________

Author Bio: Amal Rana is a Jeddah born, Pakistani Muslim activist and poet who draws inspiration from the works of warrior poets such as Faiz Ahmed Faiz, Pat Parker, Jewelle Gomez and many others who may not yet be widely recognized but whose words are no less powerful. In a time when even exhaling while being Muslim seems to have become a crime, she sees poetry as an act of sedition and collective resistance. Her work has been published in various places but fits best in grassroots zines and on the streets. Amongst other things, she spends her time helping make puppets and street art that reflect the true nature of dictators and other evil doers while working with other Pakistanis to seek real “hope” and “change” in Pakistan instead of democracy “Amreekan” style. She believes humour and love are an essential part of any revolution and that simply by existing and speaking to our own realities as Muslim women, we are being radical.

Tags: , , , , ,

OMG i am speechless … so touched i cannot comment … well said Amal

7. Sasha on August 6, 2012 at 6:54 am

OMG i am speechless … so touched i cannot comment … well said Amal

8. Sasha on August 6, 2012 at 6:54 am

OMG i am speechless … so touched i cannot comment … well said Amal

9. Chris Abbott on August 6, 2012 at 8:23 am

Thank you, Amal. Please know that there are many women in amerika who hate the foreign and domestic policies of the US government. Steet art and puppets that can let people know about the “true nature of dictators and other evil doers” is so important that my heart sings at such work. Democracy “Amreekan” style is no democracy at all. We need new models of what a just and peaceful society might look like because we sure haven’t struck on a usable one yet. And I don’t think our new models can/will come from the male-dominated, pseudo-Christian, propagandized nation that claims to be the best in the world.

10. Chris Abbott on August 6, 2012 at 8:23 am

11. Chris Abbott on August 6, 2012 at 8:23 am

12. Chris Abbott on August 6, 2012 at 8:23 am

13. Amal Rana on August 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it! First time sharing poetry online which is both terrifying and exciting so reading these comments means a lot. Chris, couldn’t agree with you more.

14. Amal Rana on August 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm

15. Amal Rana on August 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm

16. Amal Rana on August 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm

17. Victoria Marie on August 8, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Powerful!

18. Victoria Marie on August 8, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Powerful!

19. Victoria Marie on August 8, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Powerful!

20. Victoria Marie on August 8, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Powerful!

21. maryam on August 10, 2012 at 1:47 am

i understand what this woman is saying but the strength of the Muslim ummah lies in adopting Islamic doctrines no matter how hated they may be by others. If u are Muslim you may know that Allah will not change ur condition until u urself change it. May Allah help us realize what strenght lies in being a Muslim even if its only u in the room.

22. maryam on August 10, 2012 at 1:47 am

23. maryam on August 10, 2012 at 1:47 am

24. maryam on August 10, 2012 at 1:47 am

25. Daymara on August 10, 2012 at 2:43 am

I understand that but Why you dont cover your head??

26. Daymara on August 10, 2012 at 2:43 am

I understand that but Why you dont cover your head??

27. Daymara on August 10, 2012 at 2:43 am

I understand that but Why you dont cover your head??

28. Daymara on August 10, 2012 at 2:43 am

I understand that but Why you dont cover your head??

29. laila on August 14, 2012 at 2:04 am

That’s all well and good – but you didn’t answer the question… why don’t you cover your head?

30. laila on August 14, 2012 at 2:04 am

31. laila on August 14, 2012 at 2:04 am

32. laila on August 14, 2012 at 2:04 am

33. Bushra on August 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Dear Amal,
    Thank you for sharing this poem. You said many powerful things and whether you said them with your head covered or not is besides the point in my eyes. It may not be for others but I hope those others understand that sometimes (and I am not speaking for Amal here, but for me) sometimes, people telling you to cover your head and being a bit pushy in non-personal or compassionate ways is a reason to not cover your head.

Bushra

34. Bushra on August 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Dear Amal,

Bushra

35. Bushra on August 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Dear Amal,

Bushra

36. Bushra on August 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Dear Amal,

Bushra

• Poem Suite: Shards Rainbow Shards

In our Poem Suites, we bring together the voices of emerging and established poets exploring a common theme. In today’s Poem Suite, two poets explore fracturing, fragmentation and “shards” from feminist perspectives. . Making Mosaics By Leah Ware Gluing the pieces together, One by one, the mirrors go down Along [...]

• Poem Suite: Monsters magical-weave-mirror

In our Poem Suites, we bring together the voices of emerging and established poets exploring a common theme. In today’s Poem Suite, two poets explore images of monsters and monstrosity from feminist perspectives.    Mary Shelley: My Mother’s Monsters By Melissa Knox   By the time I came along she [...]

• Poem Suite: Becoming DSC_0377

In our Poem Suites, we bring together the voices of emerging and established poets exploring a common theme. In today’s Poem Suite, two poets explore processes of change, motion, and becoming from feminist perspectives.        From “Lesion” By Indrani Sengupta   thereafter   overgrown freckle. overzealous lovemark not [...]