The Shape of My Impact

October 29, 2012

Sounds to Me Like A Promise: On Survival

(After Audre Lorde: The Berlin Years by Dagmaar Schultz)

“I love the word survival, it always sounds to me like a promise.  It makes me wonder sometimes though, how do I define the shape of my impact upon this earth?”

–reflection cut from an early draft of “Eye to Eye: Black Women, Hatred and Anger” by Audre Lorde (Audre Lorde Papers, Spelman College Archive)

I love the word survival.  And I hate how we declaim it in our contemporary mouths.  Rarely these days do you see the word survival without the disclaimer, not just (survive) and the additive, but thrive.   Are we so seduced by the rhyme that we forget the whole meaning of survival?   What people most seem to be actually meaning today when they say, “not just survive” actually means not just subsist.  Survival has never meant, bare minimum, mere straggling breath, the small space next to the line of death.

Survival references our living in the context of what we have overcome.  Survival is life after disaster, life in honor of our ancestors, despite the genocidal forces worked against them specifically so we would not exist.    I love the word survival because it places my life in the context of those who I love, who are called dead, but survive through my breathing, my presence, and my remembering.  They survive in my stubborn use of the word survival unmodified.    My survival, my life resplendent, with the energy of my ancestors, is enough.

Of course survival is a keyword in black lesbian poet warrior mother teacher, Audre Lorde’s lexicon, and in our memory of her.   Ada Griffin and Michelle Parkerson’s biographical film about Lorde is called “A Litany for Survival” after her most remembered and recited poem.   “A Litany for Survival” is in fact the poem through which Lorde most frequently survives and is often the last shrine of the word survival on our tongues.

So it is no surprise that Dagmar Schultz organizes her film, Audre Lorde: The Berlin Years, around footage of Audre Lorde powerfully reciting this unkillable poem, stretching the reading through the entire film, but not just because the poem is iconic.   The persistence of the poem is appropriate because the film is 100% about survival.

The film is the survival of Audre Lorde, her face given back to us through the many portraits interspersed in the film.  The film is the survival of the Afro-German women’s movement as we watch the living founders of that movement, silver-haired and sleek, comment on their own young gumption more than 20 years ago.  The film is the survival of May Ayim, a poet and co-founder of the Afro-German woman’s movement who killed herself at the age of 36, four years after Audre Lorde died.  I find it appropriate and moving that Ayim gets the most face-time of anyone in the film (besides Audre Lorde) and is also memorialized with a series of portraits, even though viewers who don’t know about Ayim’s life and death, which the film does not explicitly contextualize, may not understand why her bright face is such a crucial image.  The film is the survival of an intergenerational ethos, both in the work of Ayim and other Afro-German women, often raised in white families, to make intergenerational ties, and in Audre Lorde’s reminder that “no revolution happens within one lifetime.”

The film is about survival.   It is Lorde clarifying that “survival is not a theoretical problem and poetry is part of my living,” and offering concrete advice for the survival of Afro-German women’s groups and literary projects despite the difficulties they face.    It is Lorde schooling white women on the urgency of their growth in the face of a 1990s neo Nazi climate in Germany explaining that “it is not altruism but survival” that requires them to act.

I appreciate the existence of this survival film, and in the context of our current forum on Black women’s health in relationship to the academy I think it offers several lessons.   One of course, is the place I start, with the reclamation of the word survival. Survival is what some Black women do in the academy, not because they are barely alive, but because we are not supposed to do it, and sometimes we do it anyway.    And the way we do it matters.

The survival of Black feminist intellectuals, which happens within or without the academy, is our intentional living with the memory of May Ayim’s suicide after being in a mental institution; our living with the knowledge that as Audre Lorde’s archival papers prove, she was denied medical leave, had to turn down prestigious fellowships (including the senior fellowship at Cornell) that required residency in places too cold for her to live during her fight against cancer.  The English Department at Hunter, which recently honored Lorde with a conference 20 years after her death, rejected her proposals at the end of her life to teach on a limited residency basis that would allow her to teach poetry intensive classes for students during warm weather in New York and to live in warmer climates during the winter based on her health needs.

If Audre Lorde’s proposal to teach in a way that allowed her to survive can be denied by the City University of New York, even as she was simultaneously selected as the New York State Poet Laureate, what does that teach us about the value of our bodies in the spaces that tokenize our minds?

And of course this is not unique to Audre Lorde.   June Jordan’s records show that even as she was battling breast cancer, UC Berkeley would not grant her medical leave or the breaks from teaching that she repeatedly wrote her administration to request in 2001, months before she died, less than two years after her Black feminist Berkeley colleague, Barbara Christian died.  This is not ancient history.  This is 21st century economics and the austerity measures, scarcity narratives, and exploitative practices of the university have only gotten more severe with time.

Let us be clear.  Universities keep huge endowments, money on reserve, because they are supposed to keep money.  They will always tell you they cannot afford you. They will not spend their money to save the life of a Black feminist.  Poet Laureate though she may be.  Let us be clear.  The universities that we mistakenly label as our bright quirky only refuge for Black brilliance have worked our geniuses to death, and have denied us help when we asked for it.   The universities that employed June Jordan, Audre Lorde and so many others, watched cancer eat away at our geniuses, as they simultaneously ate away at black women’s labor.   An institution knows how to preserve itself and it knows that Black feminists are a trouble more useful as dead invocation than as live troublemakers, raising concerns in faculty meetings.   And those institutions continue to make money and garner prestige off of their once affiliated now dead faculty members.

The university was not created to save my life.  The university is not about the preservation of a bright brown body.   The university will use me alive and use me dead.  The university does not intend to love me.  The university does not know how to love me.   The university in fact, does not love me.   But the universe does.

Survival is what Audre Lorde calls “a now that can breed futures/like bread in our children’s mouths/so their dreams will not reflect the death of ours.”  But we, Black feminists of my generation navigating our relationships to the academy, are the children.  And we must not ignore the lessons of our ancestors, nor the futures that they have made possible to us through their creativity and persistence.

Should I take a tenure track job anywhere in the world among any manner of quiet or loud racists just to have the security of a health care plan that will become more useful every year because of the stress and ideological violence I suffer on the job?  Does it honor my ancestors for me to uproot myself from the communities that have nurtured me that are my realest sources of sustenance and that I must also sustain with my presence and my love?  Did Audre Lorde and June Jordan teach in prisons, coffee shops, living rooms and subways so that I could pretend that the university has all the real classrooms and everything else must be a side hustle?

These are the questions I asked myself as I held those denied requests for medical leave in my hands.  And again as I turned down tenure track jobs.

And I decided that Audre Lorde is right.  Survival is a promise.  It is not a promise that any university or non-profit organization can make to me.  It is a promise that I make with my currently breathing body to the ancestors who move through it.   It is a promise I make in honor of the deaths that make this clarity not only possible, but unavoidable.    Survival is a promise.  Which is why I am living an experimental intellectual life, dedicated to the creation of accessible autonomous school systems, (in the living room and on the internet—blackfeministmind.wordpress.com) that bring the work of Black feminist ancestors and elders to our communities, directly and committed to creating collective systems of health and mutual support that allow our genius to be accountable to, accounted for, sustained by and shared by the unendowed oppressed communities that are the source of all genius and transformation.  Survival is a promise.   A covenant between my ancestors, my living communities and this body that is 100% composed of the love that connects them.

I am still working it out.  I am uninsured and unaffiliated and living a life that overflows with love shared across space and time.  I survive, not because I am barely alive, but because I am flagrantly alive in the sight of my ancestors.  The universe loves us.   And we sell ourselves cheap when we forget.   Our ancestors are teaching us what we deserve.  May we never sell our legacy for a mess of ego and scholar-styled swag.  May we refuse to exploit our legacy in order to earn more exploitation.  May we remember who we are.  The shape of Audre Lorde’s impact includes her achievements, her words, her losses and everything she went through that we should not repeat as if we did not know.

I love the word survival.  It sounds to me like a promise worth keeping.

Tags: , ,

24 Responses to The Shape of My Impact

1. aliyyah abdur-rahman on October 29, 2012 at 9:37 am

thank you for this piece, Alexis! and thank you for being the one to articulate and to model alternative ways for black women to be activist-scholars in this complicated — and at times frightening — moment!

aliyyah

2. aliyyah abdur-rahman on October 29, 2012 at 9:37 am

aliyyah

3. aliyyah abdur-rahman on October 29, 2012 at 9:37 am

aliyyah

4. aliyyah abdur-rahman on October 29, 2012 at 9:37 am

aliyyah

5. Monica J. Casper on October 29, 2012 at 9:41 am

Lex, this is so beautiful and moving. Thank you!

6. Monica J. Casper on October 29, 2012 at 9:41 am

Lex, this is so beautiful and moving. Thank you!

7. Monica J. Casper on October 29, 2012 at 9:41 am

Lex, this is so beautiful and moving. Thank you!

8. Monica J. Casper on October 29, 2012 at 9:41 am

Lex, this is so beautiful and moving. Thank you!

9. C. G. Howlett on October 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm

This is a very nice piece. However, the examples that the author relies on both involve inaccuracies that bear pointing out: June Jordan was on paid sick leave from Berkeley at the time of her death in 2002. Also, “at the end of her life” Audre Lorde had not been employed at Hunter College for several years. How that institutions “worked” her “to death” remains unclear.

10. C. G. Howlett on October 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm

11. C. G. Howlett on October 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm

12. C. G. Howlett on October 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm

13. AMT on October 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Alexis, this piece that you wrote could not have come at a better time. As you have turned down tenure track positions, I have avoided them completely unless I want to place my soul on a chopping block. In other words, let them rip my my identity apart while keeping my body intact. My external image… looking like any other black intellectual female… possibly becoming gaunt with black circles on my eyes in an institution. And once someone peels my skin back… my organs possibly looking worse, my heart is gone, and my personality/temperament reeks of decay. I think about what universities do to us… how we have to work harder than the rest… and it leaves me feeling morbid and tormented. So instead, I have made my mind up to be happy… and take care of me… this beautiful black body inside and out. I will continue writing and doing research without the institution… and teaching those persons that need me. Those students that are in or live near prisons, subways, living rooms and bodegas….

14. AMT on October 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm

15. AMT on October 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm

16. AMT on October 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm

17. MODI on October 29, 2012 at 7:55 pm

This was a tremendous and moving piece. Thank you.

18. MODI on October 29, 2012 at 7:55 pm

This was a tremendous and moving piece. Thank you.

19. MODI on October 29, 2012 at 7:55 pm

This was a tremendous and moving piece. Thank you.

20. MODI on October 29, 2012 at 7:55 pm

This was a tremendous and moving piece. Thank you.

21. Charlize on October 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Beautiful piece. The comments too.

22. Charlize on October 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Beautiful piece. The comments too.

23. Charlize on October 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Beautiful piece. The comments too.

24. Charlize on October 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Beautiful piece. The comments too.

• 3 poems by Sarah Kortemeier SarahKortemeier-_Baby_Fever____Stone_with_Nineteen_Corners____The_-sarah_kortemeier_outdoor_color_by_jennifer_mcstotts

The Mountain   The mountain is really a series of itself. Deeper pockets of sky color float in its canyons. In certain seasons, it’s difficult to tell rock face from snowfall. The ridge line looks much sharper than it must, in actuality, be. When you climb, the summit is sometimes [...]

• 3 poems by Arielle Greenberg Wormwood portrait LA

Who I’d Like to Meet   I am on tiptoe scanning our tallest bookshelves for something to pack to read on the plane.  I am scanful, tippy-toed: a girl without boots.  I am shorty.  I want to read something great, as in literary, and beautiful and daring, and something hobnailed [...]

• From Corpses, Artworks and Dreams of by Raha Namy

The novel Corpses, Arts and Dreams of is a triptych that hopes to tell the story/history of a people of a place and time, from three different angles, in three different styles. The first book deals with life in the city of Tehran. The second is on the people who [...]