Wall of Shame: Racists

July 20, 2013

In the wake of the George Zimmerman verdict, racists have shown their true colors. We’ve seen…

the white supremacy apologists,

the “I’m not racist, but” folks,

the “experts” on “black-on-black” violence,

the Trayvon haters,

the Zimmerman defenders,

the white woman sympathizers (a variation of “I’m not racist, but”),

the neo-slaveholders,

the neutralists,

the “you weren’t there, how can you know” apologists,

the a-historicists (“nothing to do with lynching”),

the thug-definers and finger-pointers,

the “justice is blind” symphony,

the race baiters,

the race traitors,

the white kids “Trayvoning,”

the “every conversation needs to be about me” people,

the “where is your evidence?” deniers,

the brigade of “your data are wrong,”

the plain ole white supremacists,

and the list goes on and on…

We offer as a balm the words of poet Langston Hughes:

“Besides,

They’ll see how beautiful I am

And be ashamed—

I, too, am America.”

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to Wall of Shame: Racists

1. Jo Ward on July 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Thank you for posting this. I am. A person of mixed racial heritage with parents whose family appeared “mostly” white, as I do also. i was raised in the predominant white culture as white, my family raised me with racial awareness and active anti racism politics. I discovered racism myself in any number of ways, some towards me (3 concussions were the result of my intervening in assaults against people of color in junior high and high school).
    At 11years of age a POC city bus driver physically forced me off his bus when he could proceed no further due to the overturned burning police cars in a huge race riot…at the park,it was occurring at.
    Molotov cocktails were flying, baseball bats and knives and fists being used everywhere.

Happenstance forced me deeper and deeper in the conflict when as I tried to run away, knocked over again and again. To this day I know exactly what my rescuer looked like, felt like, smelled like, as he scooped me into his arms from the ground and ran, body checked, and wove his way out of that park with me in his arms. To me, he has always been the angel of a man that I hoped and strive to be. He was not angry with me, he was angry with the violence around me, at my broken nose, and would be diagnosed as all one side worth of cracked ribs

The Trayvon Martin case, and it’s exposure of covert racism, has literally made me sick..I haven’t left the apartment since. I am praying that everyone on earth notices the “Other Race” angels that abound in all of our lives.

Namaste

2. Jo Ward on July 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Namaste

3. Jo Ward on July 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Namaste

4. Jo Ward on July 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Namaste

5. Kim Hanson on July 25, 2013 at 8:42 pm

That covers pretty much everybody so I guess we are all racists… at least all Americans are. As a Canadian, I am by law, racist. Now I just have to decide which race I am for and/or against.

6. Kim Hanson on July 25, 2013 at 8:42 pm

7. Kim Hanson on July 25, 2013 at 8:42 pm

8. Kim Hanson on July 25, 2013 at 8:42 pm

• Remembering and Honoring Toni Cade Bambara Sanchez

Sonia Sanchez: What are we pretending not to know today? The premise as you said, my sister, being that colored people on planet earth really know everything there is to know. And if one is not coming to grips with the knowledge, it must mean that one is either scared or pretending to be stupid.

• Hunger Kwame Laughing Foto

They say you had the eye; they say you saw
    into people. They say you came before as shaman
    or bruja and returned as priestess; they say you were
    stonebreaker. But for me, you were a big sister
    feeling for a lonely brother with no language
    to lament, and you gave me more days, and
    more days. Yes, they could have called you
    Grace, Bambara; they could have called you that.

• Stroller (A Screenplay) Black families and community

Roxana Walker-Canton: Natalie sits in her own seat in front of her mother and looks out the window. Mostly WHITE PEOPLE get on and off the bus now. The bus rides through a neighborhood of single family homes. A BLACK WOMAN with TWO WHITE CHILDREN get on the bus. Natalie stares at the children.

Princeton University Post Doc: Apply Now!