Yes, I Do Look Like A Lawyer

January 10, 2013

By Maria Angela Johnson

I have been an attorney for six years.  Nonetheless, when I tell someone what I do, too often I hear this comment: “You don’t look like a lawyer.”  Though perhaps meant as a compliment, remarks like this reflect, and therefore perpetuate, the stereotype that women do not belong in traditionally male-dominated fields.

Let me offer a quick physical description of myself: female, Filipino-American, and I usually wear my shoulder-length hair down.

For the sake of comparison, here’s a description of the Chief Justice of California’s Supreme Court: female, Filipino-American, and she usually wears her shoulder-length hair down.

The fact is, women are graduating from law schools and entering firms at nearly the same rate as men. And this trend is nothing new; women have made up 40 to 50 percent of law school graduating classes for over 25 years.

I do, in fact, look like a lawyer.

Recently, I stopped considering people’s disbelief at my profession as a compliment and started asking them why they were asking. What is it about me that does not strike them as lawyerly? Engaging people in these conversations has led to fruitful dialogue at best, and forced changes of subject at worst, but it beats faking a smile. After all, I did not spend three years of my life and over a hundred thousand dollars to obtain a law degree in order to not look like a lawyer.

A study published last year by Loyola University Chicago’s Department of Psychology explored the unexpectedly positive consequences of confronting sexist assumptions. In that study, mixed-gender pairs were asked to solve ethical dilemmas. One such dilemma involved a nurse who discovers that a patient received tainted blood. Female partners were instructed beforehand to confront their partners either for sexism (e.g., assuming the nurse was female) or on gender-neutral grounds (e.g., disagreeing with the male’s proposed solution). Men who were confronted for sexist comments attempted to compensate for their remarks by apologizing or demonstrating that they were engaged in the interaction by leaning forward or gesturing more frequently. More importantly, the majority of men confronted reported a more cordial relationship with their partner than did men who were not so confronted. The authors of the study noted:

“If [a man who is challenged after expressing a sexist statement] is motivated to be liked by the confronter, or wishes to present a non-prejudiced image, then he will likely compensate in response to confrontation and change his future behavior.”

Admittedly, confronting people in friendly conversations about their misconceptions may be awkward, but it is precisely this discomfort that will make the person think twice about their preconceptions and change their behavior. In addition, as the Loyola study demonstrates, exposing people’s default assumptions makes them more likely to confront those assumptions and develop enhanced sensitivities about default assumptions in the future.

Women have made great strides in previously male-dominated fields. Nearly half of all new lawyers and doctors are women. Unfortunately, public perception of these fields has not progressed in similar fashion.

It’s time to speak up.

_________________________________________

Maria Angela Johnson is a litigator in private practice with a passion for human rights law. She has worked with AsylumAccess, the Midwest Immigrant and Human Rights Center’s Anti-Trafficking Project, and Northwestern Law School’s Juvenile Asylum and Refugee Clinic. Angela currently volunteers with Kids in Need of Defense, helping unaccompanied minors obtain legal status. Angela writes for Ms. Magazine Blog and has been published in the Seattle Journal for Social Justice and Women Lawyer’s Journal. She was also featured in The Rumpus’s Funny Women column in October 2012. In her spare time, Angela enjoys yoga, running, camping, travel, playing ukulele, baking pies, drawing, hanging out with her husband, and walking her dog.

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to Yes, I Do Look Like A Lawyer

1. daisy on January 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I love this! Thank you! I’m a librarian, and too many of us embrace the “I don’t look like a librarian” shtick instead of say, “Yes, I do look like a librarian, because we’re not the old, dowdy women you have in mind. And, by the way, there are some fantastic librarians who are also old and dowdy.”

2. daisy on January 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm

3. daisy on January 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm

4. daisy on January 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm

5. Anne on January 12, 2013 at 8:05 am

This is great! I’m a graduate student in physics, and I get this all the time. I sometimes try to have the polite conversation where I point out that physicists don’t all look like Einstein, or the guys on the Big Bang Theory. But when I’m irritated, I tend to respond with, “Well I am a physicist, so this IS what a physicist looks like.”

6. Anne on January 12, 2013 at 8:05 am

7. Anne on January 12, 2013 at 8:05 am

8. Anne on January 12, 2013 at 8:05 am

• 3 poems by Sarah Kortemeier SarahKortemeier-_Baby_Fever____Stone_with_Nineteen_Corners____The_-sarah_kortemeier_outdoor_color_by_jennifer_mcstotts

The Mountain   The mountain is really a series of itself. Deeper pockets of sky color float in its canyons. In certain seasons, it’s difficult to tell rock face from snowfall. The ridge line looks much sharper than it must, in actuality, be. When you climb, the summit is sometimes [...]

• 3 poems by Arielle Greenberg Wormwood portrait LA

Who I’d Like to Meet   I am on tiptoe scanning our tallest bookshelves for something to pack to read on the plane.  I am scanful, tippy-toed: a girl without boots.  I am shorty.  I want to read something great, as in literary, and beautiful and daring, and something hobnailed [...]

• From Corpses, Artworks and Dreams of by Raha Namy

The novel Corpses, Arts and Dreams of is a triptych that hopes to tell the story/history of a people of a place and time, from three different angles, in three different styles. The first book deals with life in the city of Tehran. The second is on the people who [...]