On My Terms: A Personal Reflection and Declaration for Being Well

November 6, 2012

By Khahlia Sanders

Is it possible to be a Black woman academic and live? I find myself asking this question every time I visit the university that I attend. Observing the small number of Black women graduate students, faculty, and administrators on my campus, I find myself pessimistic about answering this question. How can I answer this question when I see Black women STILL underrepresented, devalued, and dismissed? Nevertheless, there is something inside of me that continues to push me forward. Witnessing all of this, I remain hopeful and plan to continue upholding a wellness plan of sorts—prior to applying for graduation and even now.

So, what does wellness feel like? For me, it feels like having clarity about why I decided to pursue a doctorate degree and a possible future in academia. Before I applied to graduate school, I asked myself, Why enter academia? Articulating a response to this question was necessary for self-care. One night as I worked on the many drafts of my personal statement for graduate school, I had a discussion with myself (a practice of self-care) about why I wanted to embark upon this journey. I read about a few experiences in “Telling Histories: Black Women in the Ivory Tower,” edited by Deborah Gray White, and I took notes on what I did not want to encounter. Several talks later, with alumni of my graduate program and Black women I held in high esteem I decided that my journey needed to be different.

How could it be?  And, what needed to be eliminated so that I could prosper and continue to progress in my program? After months of contemplation, I received the clarity I needed. What I knew for sure was that this journey would not be a competition for me; this journey would not be about climbing a “social ladder.”  This journey could not be about learning behaviors that go against who I know myself to be and that could possibly have me working against myself.  No.  I decided that my journey would be about of what I could prove to myself academically, how could I research my interests in ways that served my spirit, and what skills I could acquire to take back into my own community and other spaces that I would enter.

Being clear about what this journey would be for me meant that I could begin to chart my path in academia, and how I could and would enter and exit it, well and whole.  Wellness feels like knowing that I am limitless. That is, the “ivory tower” will neither control nor predict how I will flourish after I complete my program. Yes, I hope to teach at the community college and university levels, however, that’s not the end of my story.  There’s more to do.

This journey is a challenge.  To be sure, I chose it.  However, I plan to complete it on my own terms.  And yes, I know there’s a high price to pay for this—but freedom has never been free.  Still, I’ve set my own pace.

“[Am I] sure [I] want to be well?” Yes. I. Am.  I will be well.  I love me.

_________________________________________

Khahlia Sanders is a doctoral student at a Predominately White Institution in the Midwest. Her research interests include feminist and critical pedagogies, qualitative research methodologies, and teacher professional development. She has taught for over 5 years in high school and non-profit organizations in her community. Feel free to contact her at kelsan0821@yahoo.com if you ever need to reach out if and when it gets too rough in academia.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to On My Terms: A Personal Reflection and Declaration for Being Well

1. Regina on November 6, 2012 at 6:28 am

K,
    Proud of you for penning this piece! Made me proud and smile. This must be the season for Black women in the academy to declare a plan for well-being. Just wrote a “Declaration of Independence” for myself the other day. I’m sending you a copy to you email address. Keep moving FORWARD!

2. Regina on November 6, 2012 at 6:28 am

K,

3. Regina on November 6, 2012 at 6:28 am

K,

4. Regina on November 6, 2012 at 6:28 am

K,

5. rochelle on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm

well said sista…yes, i believe that you will be well.
    thank you for your story and your determination to put your well-being above all else!

6. rochelle on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm

well said sista…yes, i believe that you will be well.

7. rochelle on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm

well said sista…yes, i believe that you will be well.

8. rochelle on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm

well said sista…yes, i believe that you will be well.

• Excerpts from In the Away Time by Kristen Nelson kristen

. January You called me She instead of You. “Where is she going now?” is the first question you ever asked me. You were standing on a porch next to the last She who you broke. I remember looking up at you over my shoulder and smiling. I was going skinny-dipping. [...]

• Poems for Ferguson: Vanessa Huang and Aya de Leon Michael-Brown-Ferguson-Missouri-Shooting-Petition-Racism-america_2014-08-15_17-44-22

Two poets consider Michael Brown, Ferguson, MO, and the crucial ways in which Black Life Matters.     How Do I Love Thee? A love poem from the Ferguson, MO police dept to Black residents: An informal emulation of Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s Sonnet 43 by Aya de Leon . How [...]

• “Paws” by Tracy Burkholder tracy

Paws   In sixth grade, I started to envy certain girls’ hands. Not always manicured, but always neat. Fingers thin and smooth. These hands gently freed sheets of paper from their metal spirals and lifted loops of hair to more beautiful perches. Lunch trays floated inside their gentle grip while [...]