How Much is Your Vagina Costing You?

April 7, 2012

Given the national debate regarding birth control coverage, it’s increasingly clear that many people have no idea how much it costs it to own a vagina — folks are getting up in arms about the idea that the pill could set uninsured women back about $1000 a year, but in the grand scheme of things, that’s nothing. Do you even know just how much you’re shelling out for your clam? Were you aware of the fact that in your 20s alone, you will spend over $26,000 on vaginal maintenance? The cool folks over at Jezebel did the math on just how much that cooter is costing you.

Birth control: Each pack can cost a woman $129.99 without insurance. Eighty percent of women use birth control during their reproductive years, and most women in the United States opt for oral contraception.
$129.99 a pack at 13 packs per year: $1689.87

Tampons and Maxipads: Sure, there is the reusable kind, but the vast majority of women and teens in the United States regularly use tampons. Throughout the course of her life, a woman will go through 11,000 tampons, give or take a little considering the age at which she starts menstruating.
$6.79 per box at Drugstore.com, at 9 boxes of tampons per year: $61.11
$7.99 per package of maxi pads at Drugstore.com, at 7 packages a year: $59.4

PMS Relief: We can’t talk about tampons and maxipads without also talking about PMS relief. A whopping 85% of women take oral medications – typically those found over the counter – to relieve symptoms associated with PMS.
$6.99 for a bottle of Midol at Drugstore.com at 3 bottles per year: $20.97

Pelvic Exam and Pap Smear: Ahh, the yearly pap smear. Despite the obvious health benefits of keeping up this routine, paying for the procedure can feel a little obnoxious. Women without insurance are able to receive pap smears at a discounted rate through Planned Parenthood. If women opt for another provider, they can end up paying $500 out-of-pocket.
$175
at Planned Parenthood

In addition to the costs above, women can expect to pay for other issues regarding their vaginas. Common illnesses — including urinary tract infections (UTI), yeast infections, and vaginal dryness — add to overall maintenance expenses. Women often prepare for intercourse by purchasing condoms themselves. The expenses get even higher when one factors in the expenses of laser hair removal, waxing, etc. These costs aren’t as critical as some of the other expenses found on the list, but the number of women who seek these procedures in the United States rises nearly every year.

Read more: Jezebel

8 Responses to How Much is Your Vagina Costing You?

1. Cathay on April 7, 2012 at 6:12 am

Wow I've never added up the cost of owning a vagina.

2. Cathay on April 7, 2012 at 6:12 am

Wow I've never added up the cost of owning a vagina.

3. Cathay on April 7, 2012 at 6:12 am

Wow I've never added up the cost of owning a vagina.

4. Cathay on April 7, 2012 at 6:12 am

Wow I've never added up the cost of owning a vagina.

5. Canadian Girl on April 11, 2012 at 9:38 am

I'm astonsished right now. I have never in my life paid for a pelvic exam or pap smear, or doctors visit of any kind. I knew the US health care system was for shit, but wow. And birth control costing 1600$ a year? My birth control costs about 120$ a year if I buy generic, 240$ if I don't (in fact, my University's health care plan paid for my birth control for one year). I'd hate to be a woman living in the US right now.

6. Canadian Girl on April 11, 2012 at 9:38 am

7. Canadian Girl on April 11, 2012 at 9:38 am

8. Canadian Girl on April 11, 2012 at 9:38 am

• Remembering and Honoring Toni Cade Bambara Sanchez

Sonia Sanchez: What are we pretending not to know today? The premise as you said, my sister, being that colored people on planet earth really know everything there is to know. And if one is not coming to grips with the knowledge, it must mean that one is either scared or pretending to be stupid.

• Hunger Kwame Laughing Foto

They say you had the eye; they say you saw
    into people. They say you came before as shaman
    or bruja and returned as priestess; they say you were
    stonebreaker. But for me, you were a big sister
    feeling for a lonely brother with no language
    to lament, and you gave me more days, and
    more days. Yes, they could have called you
    Grace, Bambara; they could have called you that.

• Stroller (A Screenplay) Black families and community

Roxana Walker-Canton: Natalie sits in her own seat in front of her mother and looks out the window. Mostly WHITE PEOPLE get on and off the bus now. The bus rides through a neighborhood of single family homes. A BLACK WOMAN with TWO WHITE CHILDREN get on the bus. Natalie stares at the children.

Princeton University Post Doc: Apply Now!