Wisconsin Legislators Tie Single Parenthood to Child Abuse

March 15, 2012

As if it weren’t hard enough already to be a single mom — or dad — a new bill in Wisconsin is associating single parenthood with child abuse. Senate Bill 507 is sponsored by State Sen. Glenn Grothman and State Rep. Donald Pridemore, both Republicans. It takes the state-funded Child Abuse Prevention Board to task for not railing against single parenthood. Grothman described to Fox 6 Now what he says is a direct association between abused kids and parents who aren’t married. “A child is 20 times more likely to be sexually abused if they are raised by say, a mother and a boyfriend, than their mother and father,” Grothman said. According to the language of the bill, its aim is to promote “public awareness of the problems of child abuse and neglect. In promoting those campaigns and materials, the [child abuse prevention] board shall emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.”

More than a quarter of U.S. children younger than 21 live with just one parent, according to U.S. Census data released in 2009. Single moms outnumber single dads 5 to 1.

Read more: Time Magazine

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to Wisconsin Legislators Tie Single Parenthood to Child Abuse

1. Sean on March 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!!!!!! It seems they are using a scorched earth polcy with their political careers.

2. Sean on March 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

3. Sean on March 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

4. Sean on March 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

5. NorthernMom on March 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

My "boyfriend" and I raise our (yes, OUR) two children together as a family — yet as we are not married are we BOTH single parents raising their children with a boyfrtiend/girlfriend, are my kids 40% more likely to be abused due to their double exposure — being raised by their unmarried father and mother!!! It seems this type of logic was used to come up with these statistics — I would love to have the numbers they started with to come up with this BS!!

6. NorthernMom on March 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

7. NorthernMom on March 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

8. NorthernMom on March 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

• 2 poems by Margaree Little molly little

BLACKBERRY GARDEN As though by going back to it now it would become clear—or more than that, say what you mean, come right, a resolution of the leaves piling up in the yard, then turning to mulch, behind the house the blackberry bushes taking over the length of the garden.  [...]

• Two Poems by Erin Parks then and now

By Erin Parks     3 Queens Haiku Strange and strong Women Transcending normal life things Freedom in a word           For Men Who Claim They Love #TeamNatural My hair is not easy to manipulate. It takes time, patience, and skill. Yes, you must know how [...]

• Two Poems by Emma Victoria Miller GIRL_A~1

By Emma Victoria Miller     The Water Carrier   Last night I dreamt of the house of the girl who drew water, The girl of the three miracles, The girl who drowned at sea. Last night I dreamt of my Manderley, Not buried nor burnt, nor overgrown, No fairytale [...]