Wisconsin Legislators Tie Single Parenthood to Child Abuse

March 15, 2012

As if it weren’t hard enough already to be a single mom — or dad — a new bill in Wisconsin is associating single parenthood with child abuse. Senate Bill 507 is sponsored by State Sen. Glenn Grothman and State Rep. Donald Pridemore, both Republicans. It takes the state-funded Child Abuse Prevention Board to task for not railing against single parenthood. Grothman described to Fox 6 Now what he says is a direct association between abused kids and parents who aren’t married. “A child is 20 times more likely to be sexually abused if they are raised by say, a mother and a boyfriend, than their mother and father,” Grothman said. According to the language of the bill, its aim is to promote “public awareness of the problems of child abuse and neglect. In promoting those campaigns and materials, the [child abuse prevention] board shall emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.”

More than a quarter of U.S. children younger than 21 live with just one parent, according to U.S. Census data released in 2009. Single moms outnumber single dads 5 to 1.

Read more: Time Magazine

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to Wisconsin Legislators Tie Single Parenthood to Child Abuse

1. Sean on March 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!!!!!! It seems they are using a scorched earth polcy with their political careers.

2. Sean on March 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

3. Sean on March 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

4. Sean on March 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

5. NorthernMom on March 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

My "boyfriend" and I raise our (yes, OUR) two children together as a family — yet as we are not married are we BOTH single parents raising their children with a boyfrtiend/girlfriend, are my kids 40% more likely to be abused due to their double exposure — being raised by their unmarried father and mother!!! It seems this type of logic was used to come up with these statistics — I would love to have the numbers they started with to come up with this BS!!

6. NorthernMom on March 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

7. NorthernMom on March 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

8. NorthernMom on March 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

• Stroller (A Screenplay) Black families and community

Roxana Walker-Canton: Natalie sits in her own seat in front of her mother and looks out the window. Mostly WHITE PEOPLE get on and off the bus now. The bus rides through a neighborhood of single family homes. A BLACK WOMAN with TWO WHITE CHILDREN get on the bus. Natalie stares at the children.

• I’ve Got Something To Say About This: A Survival Incantation Kate Rushin
credit/copyright: Rachel Eliza Griffiths

Kate Rushin: I see the whole thing played out. I’m bludgeoned, bloody, raped. My story is reduced to filler buried in the back of the paper, on page 49, and I say, “No. No way.”

• what is left M. Nzadi Keita
photograph: ©Elizabeth Ho

M. Nzadi Keita: what you remember/ starts with a smile/ a raw edge/ a single snip/ from the someone dead

Princeton University Post Doc: Apply Now!