Wisconsin Legislators Tie Single Parenthood to Child Abuse

March 15, 2012

As if it weren’t hard enough already to be a single mom — or dad — a new bill in Wisconsin is associating single parenthood with child abuse. Senate Bill 507 is sponsored by State Sen. Glenn Grothman and State Rep. Donald Pridemore, both Republicans. It takes the state-funded Child Abuse Prevention Board to task for not railing against single parenthood. Grothman described to Fox 6 Now what he says is a direct association between abused kids and parents who aren’t married. “A child is 20 times more likely to be sexually abused if they are raised by say, a mother and a boyfriend, than their mother and father,” Grothman said. According to the language of the bill, its aim is to promote “public awareness of the problems of child abuse and neglect. In promoting those campaigns and materials, the [child abuse prevention] board shall emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.”

More than a quarter of U.S. children younger than 21 live with just one parent, according to U.S. Census data released in 2009. Single moms outnumber single dads 5 to 1.

Read more: Time Magazine

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to Wisconsin Legislators Tie Single Parenthood to Child Abuse

1. Sean on March 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!!!!!! It seems they are using a scorched earth polcy with their political careers.

2. Sean on March 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

3. Sean on March 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

4. Sean on March 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

5. NorthernMom on March 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

My "boyfriend" and I raise our (yes, OUR) two children together as a family — yet as we are not married are we BOTH single parents raising their children with a boyfrtiend/girlfriend, are my kids 40% more likely to be abused due to their double exposure — being raised by their unmarried father and mother!!! It seems this type of logic was used to come up with these statistics — I would love to have the numbers they started with to come up with this BS!!

6. NorthernMom on March 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

7. NorthernMom on March 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

8. NorthernMom on March 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

• Poem Suite: Shards Rainbow Shards

In our Poem Suites, we bring together the voices of emerging and established poets exploring a common theme. In today’s Poem Suite, two poets explore fracturing, fragmentation and “shards” from feminist perspectives. . Making Mosaics By Leah Ware Gluing the pieces together, One by one, the mirrors go down Along [...]

• Poem Suite: Monsters magical-weave-mirror

In our Poem Suites, we bring together the voices of emerging and established poets exploring a common theme. In today’s Poem Suite, two poets explore images of monsters and monstrosity from feminist perspectives.    Mary Shelley: My Mother’s Monsters By Melissa Knox   By the time I came along she [...]

• Poem Suite: Becoming DSC_0377

In our Poem Suites, we bring together the voices of emerging and established poets exploring a common theme. In today’s Poem Suite, two poets explore processes of change, motion, and becoming from feminist perspectives.        From “Lesion” By Indrani Sengupta   thereafter   overgrown freckle. overzealous lovemark not [...]