Welcome to Motherhood

March 12, 2012

By Natashia Deón

If at dawn, I walked out into a busy intersection and

Was swept away by a glorious symphony—

Tires screeching,

Glass exploding,

Metal rejecting bone,

We would all be better off.

The driver would peer over her clinched steering wheel,

Through the mosaics of her shattered windshield,

To find a dark pile of clothes in the road; convincing herself that

What she hit was nothing.

She’d be right.

My new baby would be spared of me.

And my husband would make me an angel.

__________________________________________

Natashia Deón is a Los Angeles attorney, creator of the reading series Dirty Laundry Lit and is currently penning her debut novel. Her work has appeared in The Rattling WallThe Coachella Review, and Strange Cargo. A 2010 PEN Emerging Voices Fellow, Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference scholarship recipient, 2011 VCCA Fellow, and award-winning screenwriter, Deon is also a creative writing and screenwriting instructor working with PEN In The Classroom, 826LA, and Gettysburg College.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to Welcome to Motherhood

1. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

Thank you again for this submission, Natashia! It is truly a beautiful piece, and I hope you continue to write poetry in the future. You certainly have a gift! :)

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

2. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

3. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

4. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

• 2 poems by Margaree Little molly little

BLACKBERRY GARDEN As though by going back to it now it would become clear—or more than that, say what you mean, come right, a resolution of the leaves piling up in the yard, then turning to mulch, behind the house the blackberry bushes taking over the length of the garden.  [...]

• Two Poems by Erin Parks then and now

By Erin Parks     3 Queens Haiku Strange and strong Women Transcending normal life things Freedom in a word           For Men Who Claim They Love #TeamNatural My hair is not easy to manipulate. It takes time, patience, and skill. Yes, you must know how [...]

• Two Poems by Emma Victoria Miller GIRL_A~1

By Emma Victoria Miller     The Water Carrier   Last night I dreamt of the house of the girl who drew water, The girl of the three miracles, The girl who drowned at sea. Last night I dreamt of my Manderley, Not buried nor burnt, nor overgrown, No fairytale [...]