Welcome to Motherhood

March 12, 2012

By Natashia Deón

If at dawn, I walked out into a busy intersection and

Was swept away by a glorious symphony—

Tires screeching,

Glass exploding,

Metal rejecting bone,

We would all be better off.

The driver would peer over her clinched steering wheel,

Through the mosaics of her shattered windshield,

To find a dark pile of clothes in the road; convincing herself that

What she hit was nothing.

She’d be right.

My new baby would be spared of me.

And my husband would make me an angel.

__________________________________________

Natashia Deón is a Los Angeles attorney, creator of the reading series Dirty Laundry Lit and is currently penning her debut novel. Her work has appeared in The Rattling WallThe Coachella Review, and Strange Cargo. A 2010 PEN Emerging Voices Fellow, Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference scholarship recipient, 2011 VCCA Fellow, and award-winning screenwriter, Deon is also a creative writing and screenwriting instructor working with PEN In The Classroom, 826LA, and Gettysburg College.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to Welcome to Motherhood

1. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

Thank you again for this submission, Natashia! It is truly a beautiful piece, and I hope you continue to write poetry in the future. You certainly have a gift! :)

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

2. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

3. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

4. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

• Two Poems by Tsitsi Jaji tumblr_m0jjzqsYiq1qbh27fo1_500

By Tsitsi Jaji   Pause. (For All the Madibas)*   There is a breath before the pendulum rends its center, A breath before what leapt comes back to its ground.     There, men and women in chains broke rock, forcing it to deliver         .   [...]

• Fiction Feature: from “Kill Marguerite,” by Megan Milks Milks-avatar-magicked-out

By Megan Milks   This excerpt from the short story “Kill Marguerite” takes place after the protagonist, Caty, has already beat Level One and killed Marguerite, her arch-enemy.   Level Two: The Trampoline     BEGIN>> The trampoline is this big old trampoline in Matt and Curtis Wheeler’s backyard, and [...]

• Video Feature: List of Demands: Because Existing is a Privilege by Nicole Shantè White nicole white photo

By Nicole Shantè  White   This creative visual addresses queer invisibility by encompassing the intricacies of the Gay Liberation manifesto and the Black Panther Party’s manifesto. Originally inspired by Sofia Snow’s “List of Demands: Because Existing is a Privilege, emerging author Nicole Shantè White uses the bed as a metaphor [...]