Welcome to Motherhood

March 12, 2012

By Natashia Deón

If at dawn, I walked out into a busy intersection and

Was swept away by a glorious symphony—

Tires screeching,

Glass exploding,

Metal rejecting bone,

We would all be better off.

The driver would peer over her clinched steering wheel,

Through the mosaics of her shattered windshield,

To find a dark pile of clothes in the road; convincing herself that

What she hit was nothing.

She’d be right.

My new baby would be spared of me.

And my husband would make me an angel.

__________________________________________

Natashia Deón is a Los Angeles attorney, creator of the reading series Dirty Laundry Lit and is currently penning her debut novel. Her work has appeared in The Rattling WallThe Coachella Review, and Strange Cargo. A 2010 PEN Emerging Voices Fellow, Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference scholarship recipient, 2011 VCCA Fellow, and award-winning screenwriter, Deon is also a creative writing and screenwriting instructor working with PEN In The Classroom, 826LA, and Gettysburg College.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to Welcome to Motherhood

1. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

Thank you again for this submission, Natashia! It is truly a beautiful piece, and I hope you continue to write poetry in the future. You certainly have a gift! :)

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

2. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

3. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

4. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

• Excerpts from In the Away Time by Kristen Nelson kristen

. January You called me She instead of You. “Where is she going now?” is the first question you ever asked me. You were standing on a porch next to the last She who you broke. I remember looking up at you over my shoulder and smiling. I was going skinny-dipping. [...]

• Poems for Ferguson: Vanessa Huang and Aya de Leon Michael-Brown-Ferguson-Missouri-Shooting-Petition-Racism-america_2014-08-15_17-44-22

Two poets consider Michael Brown, Ferguson, MO, and the crucial ways in which Black Life Matters.     How Do I Love Thee? A love poem from the Ferguson, MO police dept to Black residents: An informal emulation of Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s Sonnet 43 by Aya de Leon . How [...]

• “Paws” by Tracy Burkholder tracy

Paws   In sixth grade, I started to envy certain girls’ hands. Not always manicured, but always neat. Fingers thin and smooth. These hands gently freed sheets of paper from their metal spirals and lifted loops of hair to more beautiful perches. Lunch trays floated inside their gentle grip while [...]