Welcome to Motherhood

March 12, 2012

By Natashia Deón

If at dawn, I walked out into a busy intersection and

Was swept away by a glorious symphony—

Tires screeching,

Glass exploding,

Metal rejecting bone,

We would all be better off.

The driver would peer over her clinched steering wheel,

Through the mosaics of her shattered windshield,

To find a dark pile of clothes in the road; convincing herself that

What she hit was nothing.

She’d be right.

My new baby would be spared of me.

And my husband would make me an angel.

__________________________________________

Natashia Deón is a Los Angeles attorney, creator of the reading series Dirty Laundry Lit and is currently penning her debut novel. Her work has appeared in The Rattling WallThe Coachella Review, and Strange Cargo. A 2010 PEN Emerging Voices Fellow, Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference scholarship recipient, 2011 VCCA Fellow, and award-winning screenwriter, Deon is also a creative writing and screenwriting instructor working with PEN In The Classroom, 826LA, and Gettysburg College.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to Welcome to Motherhood

1. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

Thank you again for this submission, Natashia! It is truly a beautiful piece, and I hope you continue to write poetry in the future. You certainly have a gift! :)

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

2. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

3. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

4. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

• Remembering and Honoring Toni Cade Bambara Sanchez

Sonia Sanchez: What are we pretending not to know today? The premise as you said, my sister, being that colored people on planet earth really know everything there is to know. And if one is not coming to grips with the knowledge, it must mean that one is either scared or pretending to be stupid.

• Hunger Kwame Laughing Foto

They say you had the eye; they say you saw
    into people. They say you came before as shaman
    or bruja and returned as priestess; they say you were
    stonebreaker. But for me, you were a big sister
    feeling for a lonely brother with no language
    to lament, and you gave me more days, and
    more days. Yes, they could have called you
    Grace, Bambara; they could have called you that.

• Stroller (A Screenplay) Black families and community

Roxana Walker-Canton: Natalie sits in her own seat in front of her mother and looks out the window. Mostly WHITE PEOPLE get on and off the bus now. The bus rides through a neighborhood of single family homes. A BLACK WOMAN with TWO WHITE CHILDREN get on the bus. Natalie stares at the children.

Princeton University Post Doc: Apply Now!