Welcome to Motherhood

March 12, 2012

By Natashia Deón

If at dawn, I walked out into a busy intersection and

Was swept away by a glorious symphony—

Tires screeching,

Glass exploding,

Metal rejecting bone,

We would all be better off.

The driver would peer over her clinched steering wheel,

Through the mosaics of her shattered windshield,

To find a dark pile of clothes in the road; convincing herself that

What she hit was nothing.

She’d be right.

My new baby would be spared of me.

And my husband would make me an angel.

__________________________________________

Natashia Deón is a Los Angeles attorney, creator of the reading series Dirty Laundry Lit and is currently penning her debut novel. Her work has appeared in The Rattling WallThe Coachella Review, and Strange Cargo. A 2010 PEN Emerging Voices Fellow, Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference scholarship recipient, 2011 VCCA Fellow, and award-winning screenwriter, Deon is also a creative writing and screenwriting instructor working with PEN In The Classroom, 826LA, and Gettysburg College.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to Welcome to Motherhood

1. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

Thank you again for this submission, Natashia! It is truly a beautiful piece, and I hope you continue to write poetry in the future. You certainly have a gift! :)

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

2. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

3. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

4. Catherine Morrisey-R on March 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Natashia Deon on March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you so much, Catherine! This all means so much to me. And my family.

• 3 poems by Tamiko Beyer OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Water stilled is not a dying sound   One bee clambers into a rose, then another—together they bump and buzz the bloom heavy with pollen and pollen collectors. Legs swollen sacks of sweet. I lumber their shape against my tongue, all desire in my bumble body. Under the sun’s eye, [...]

• Poetry by runner up Camonghne Felix Camonghne

Google Search ………………………………………………………..Year: ‘02 ………………………………………………………………..radio; disney …………….Judy; Blume . …………………………………………..Hey; god; it’s; me; . ……………………………………………..cognitive; behavioral; therapy   …………..moby; dick ……………………………………..p;t;s;d …………………jesse; mccartney how; to; know; if; boys; like; you ………………………………..how; to; get; blood; out ………………………………………..how; to; know; if; girls; like; you lesbians; ………………………………………………….how; to; overdose ……………………how; to; make; yourself; [...]

• Excerpt from Dear Twin by Addie Tsai addie

Prologue     Poppy wanted her back. She knew it was a fool’s mission. But, still. She had to try.       Poppy’s wall was lined with a white bookshelf her father made for her in the backyard one day. He’d built one for Lola too, identical to the [...]