Mother Roots

March 18, 2012

Mother.

Womb of life.

Nine months we devour your roots.

Screaming we suck your trunk.

Waking we demand your attention.

Laughing we beg you to play.

Crying we expect you to care.

Helpless we rely on you.

A timeless tree of compassion.

Sunny warmth in the autumns of loss.

Bearer of our sorrows and joys.

From the moment we wake

’til the moment we sleep

You protect and nourish us.

When men become weak  in your presence.

Their weapons – fists, dicks and guns.

Yet still you forgive their raging blows

And still you care for their sons.

Without you we are nothing.

Without you we cannot survive.

Help the mother.

Respect the mother.

Forgive the mother.

Love the mother.

Her happiness is yours.

Dedicated to my son, my mother and all mother sentient beings on March 18 2012.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to Mother Roots

1. Soraya L. Chemaly on March 19, 2012 at 3:02 am

Adele – this is beautiful. Printing and emailing to many who will love it.

• Adele Wilde-B on March 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thanks Soraya!

2. Soraya L. Chemaly on March 19, 2012 at 3:02 am

Adele – this is beautiful. Printing and emailing to many who will love it.

• Adele Wilde-B on March 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thanks Soraya!

3. Soraya L. Chemaly on March 19, 2012 at 3:02 am

Adele – this is beautiful. Printing and emailing to many who will love it.

• Adele Wilde-B on March 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thanks Soraya!

4. Soraya L. Chemaly on March 19, 2012 at 3:02 am

Adele – this is beautiful. Printing and emailing to many who will love it.

• Adele Wilde-B on March 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thanks Soraya!

• Poems for Ferguson: Vanessa Huang and Aya de Leon Michael-Brown-Ferguson-Missouri-Shooting-Petition-Racism-america_2014-08-15_17-44-22

Two poets consider Michael Brown, Ferguson, MO, and the crucial ways in which Black Life Matters.     “How Do I Love Thee? A love poem from the Ferguson, MO police dept to Black residents: An informal emulation of Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s Sonnet 43″ by Aya de Leon How do [...]

• “Paws” by Tracy Burkholder tracy

Paws   In sixth grade, I started to envy certain girls’ hands. Not always manicured, but always neat. Fingers thin and smooth. These hands gently freed sheets of paper from their metal spirals and lifted loops of hair to more beautiful perches. Lunch trays floated inside their gentle grip while [...]

• 3 Poems by Holly Mitchell holly

Slipping Under   Like a ghost, I prepare a bath behind a door   that hasn’t locked long as I remember.   When my mother or grandmother knocks at the open door,   I obscure what they call my “new breasts” under the soap water   and focus on the [...]